Design & Technology 2020 - 2021
‘Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works’ - Steve Jobs
Design & Technology provides practical learning experiences, which make it accessible to all pupils. Pupils use knowledge and understanding from across the curriculum and apply them in practical activities. D&T gives pupils the opportunity to make choices within a practical learning environment and focuses them on problems that are meaningful to them. It encourages communication using a range of methods avoiding over reliance on the written word. Pupils are able to work within a flexible range of contexts and topics that can be adopted to suit individual interests and motivations.
Through D&T, pupils are given the opportunity to design, make, evaluate and improve; as well as explore and experience the wider world. Designing, taking apart products to explore their components or making products can give pupils a sense of achievement and improve their self-esteem. Pupils benefit from seeing their own progress and taking greater responsibility for their own learning as they begin to evaluate the quality of their work.
- To encourage children to learn to think and work creatively to solve problems both as individuals and collaboratively as members of a team.
- At Boundary, we follow the guidance of the Design and Technology Association and encourage children to use their creativity and imagination, to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values.
- Where possible, we encourage children to make connections to other subjects, such as Mathematics, Science, Computing and Art.
- The children are also given opportunities to reflect upon and evaluate past and present technology and its usefulness.
- Through a variety of creative and practical activities, we teach the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to engage in the process of designing and making.
- Using a clear learning journey, children are able to show a clear process of research, design, make and evaluate.
- At Boundary, we deliver a range of Design and Technology projects with a clear structure, which includes challenging students at all levels.
- Children are able to explore a range of existing products and formulate opinions on these, in order to make design decisions for their own products.
- Children will become resourceful, creative and capable citizens.
- Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they develop an understanding of its impact on the world.
- Build and apply a range of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality products and for a range of users and evaluate and test their ideas and products.
- Children learn to take risks and produce high quality products.
Design Technology Curriculum At a Glance