- In the EYFS children have access to a high-quality provision that allows them opportunities to explore a range of media and materials. They are taught skills and techniques through adult focused activities and can then practise these techniques independently.
- Key stage 1 and 2 follow a teaching sequence of Explore, Experiment, Practise and Final piece.
- During key stage 1 and lower key stage 2, children study two artists from a particular genre of art and practise their techniques in sketchbooks. Upper key stage 2 study three artists.
- Children then have the freedom to create a final piece based on the skills they have practised.
- During key stage 1, children develop a range of art and design techniques using the seven elements of art.
- During key stage 2, children continue to develop these techniques adding more control.