- Starting in Foundation, our children are given lots of opportunities to explore and investigate numbers and amounts.
- In Reception, the NCETM Mastering Number programme is used to develop a secure understanding and flexibility with numbers up to 10.
- We use a variety of teaching and learning strategies, which encompass practical, pictoral, verbal and written styles. This also includes independent and collaborative learning.
- Each year group follows the White Rose scheme of work, ensuring small steps are taught in a journey in order to have a concrete understanding of mathematical concepts. This is used as a basis for teacher’s planning.
- NCTEM, I-See Reasoning and Nrich materials are used in addition to White Rose to deepen thinking when children are problem solving and reasoning.
- For children working below age related expectations within mathematics, Boundary Small Steps are used to guide planning to break their learning down into ever further smaller steps.
- We encourage resilience, growth mind-sets and perseverance with the classroom.
- Children are given the opportunity to practice varied fluency, to solve problems and to apply their reasoning skills.
- Challenges are planned for throughout the school for each aspect of maths.
- Children are given opportunities to use their previous knowledge and learning.
- A variety of resources are used throughout school such as; Numicon, Base 10, bead strings, cubes, play dough, card fans, iPads, place value charts, number lines and times table squares.