- Our school follows the Little Wandle Letters and Sounds revised phonics programme from Nursery to Year 2.
- All children have a baseline assessment in phonics and are then grouped accordingly. Children move to different classrooms and learning areas for phonics and all staff, including TA’s, are responsible for a group.
- Regular assessments are carried out by staff and the groups are changed accordingly.
- When children first become readers they have access to our colour book banded system which starts with Lilac books (age 4) and goes right the way through to Black books (age 11+).
- Children from Year 1 – Year 6 receive a daily Guided Reading session.
- Guided Reading sessions are planned around a weekly carousel of activities depending on the age of the children.
- The carousel will include independent reading, comprehension tasks with the TA, dictionary work, a session working with the teacher and a post task based on reading done with the teacher.
- Some Guided Reading sessions are delivered to the whole class so that comprehension skills can be taught and developed.
- Reading opportunities are provided across the curriculum to further expand the children’s understanding of other subjects and to broaden their vocabulary.
- ALL pupils take reading books home frequently and read regularly at home, bringing their signed reading record into school at least 3 times a week.
- Teachers read out loud regularly to their class a book either from the year group author or theme.
- We encourage and promote enjoyment in reading throughout the year with key events. These include: World Book Day, library visits, visitors to assemblies, author/poet visits, Book Fairs and clubs.