The school believes that English skills are vital to the development of children so they are prepared for their future life. A broad and balanced English programme, using objectives from the National Curriculum 2014, determines the skills that each year group and Key Stage must cover and this is done through a range of genres studied and promoted. A variety of resources are used to promote a reading and writing culture. Children are given a range of writing opportunities including the use of paired, group and independent writing tasks.
The aims of teaching writing in our school are to develop pupils who:
- Show high levels of achievement and exhibit very positive attitudes towards writing;
- Use and understand language as speakers, readers and writers.
- Are competent, confident and independent in the use of language in their writing.
- Have an awareness of different audiences and purposes for writing.
- Apply their grammatical knowledge in their writing.
- Apply their phonetical and spelling knowledge in their writing.
- Apply the English language in all areas of the curriculum.