What are the different types of support available for children with SEND at Boundary Primary School?

Boundary Primary School is an inclusive school and may offer the following range of provision to support children with additional needs. This is combined with the provision and teaching provided to the whole class.

Class teacher input via good/outstanding teaching.

All children receive this provision.

  • Ensuring that the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all children in their class
  • Ensuring that all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and understanding
  • Putting in place different ways of teaching so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning or pair work.
  • Putting in place specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo or outside staff) to support your child to learn

Specific small group work.

Any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning or social development. Children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through whole class teaching.

  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCo as needing more specialist input
  • A teacher, trained teaching assistant or outside professional will run these groups on a regular basis

Individual work.

Your child may have been identified by the class teacher/SENCo as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school.

You will be consulted and if you deem it appropriate, you will be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to an outside professional e.g. a speech therapist or Educational Psychologist.

This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and therefore, be better able to support them. The outside professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

  • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better
  • Support to set targets which will include their specific expertise
  • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group
  • A group or individual working with an outside professional

The school may suggest that your child needs some individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.

Education Health Care Plan.

If your child has been identified by the SENCo / Educational Psychologist as needing a particularly high level of individual support then the school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs.

The Local Authority may conduct an assessment or plan when it considers that a child’s needs cannot reasonably be provided from within the resources normally made available to mainstream providers. This assessment must be completed within twenty weeks. Parents of children have the right to ask the Local Authority to prepare a personal budget when the draft Education Health Care Plan is being prepared.

The Personal Budget is an amount of money identified by the Local Authority to deliver all or some of the provision set out in the Education Health Care Plan. The personal budget should reflect the holistic nature of an Education Health Care Plan covering both education and health care services.

Contact Us

Boundary Primary School

Dinmore Ave, Blackpool FY3 7RW

School Office

01253 287250:

Proud to be part of the Synergy Trust